Here are some tips to help you along your way...
So you're a new yogi!! Yay! This is a very exciting time! Beginning your yoga practice is an experience you will never forget!
We are so honored that you have chosen to be a part of our yogi community here at Changing Leaves Yoga & Reiki Studio!
Here are a few tips to help you get the absolute most out of your experience!
1. As you take these first steps in beginning a regular yoga practice it's important to pick a class that you will love and want to be at every week! Take a moment or two to sit with your body. Breathe deeply. Check in with your body to uncover what it truly needs. Then take a moment to read our class descriptions, and decide what class will be the most healing and beneficial for you.
- If you are a beginner, you might really enjoy our Beginner/Gentle Flow class. This class emphasizes gentle, slow movements, allowing you to indulge in each posture. This class is alignment focused, using enough direction so that you will have a sense of how your body should be moving throughout class, but is still taught in or favorite 'flow' style, so that you can have fun and get into your body!
- If you would love to do yoga, but are uncomfortable, or cannot for any reason get down on the mat our ChairFlow class will be a great for for you! Chair yoga classes are planned special to have all the great benefits of a traditional yoga class, opening the muscles and joints, working on stability, flexibility and balance... all without getting down on the mat! We use a combination of sitting in your chair, and standing next to the chair for support throughout the duration of the class. Chairs Provided!
- If you are comfortable with yoga, and are looking for a nice powerful flow to a nice powerful flow to compliment your practice, check out our PowerfulFlow class! This class is a nice sweet mix of a relaxing warm up, and a sweaty challenging practice that is sure to get you into your body quickly, and stretch the muscles!
- If you are a morning person and are comfortable with yoga, or have recently been introduced to yoga and are getting comfortable with yoga, our Friday Morning Gentle+PowerFlow class might just do the trick! We start off gentle, allowing the body to wake up and stretch naturally, and as our body begins to open and awaken, we sneak in a powerful flow to energize, and gradually move back to a gentle flow style to end our class!
- If you are totally into are totally into Meditation & Guided Relaxation, would like to get into it or want to start out your weekend peacefully without much physical activity (we're just waking up, after all!) our Saturday Morning Meditation + Yoga Nidra class will be just what you're looking for!
exercises, and end with a 10-15 minute guided relaxation & brief hands-on pressure
2. Wear comfortable clothes that contribute to your enjoyment throughout the class. You will be stretching, and bending. Consider these tips when deciding what to wear.
- Wear clothes that are as flexible as you are! Comfortable, proper fitting workout/exercise clothes work best! Don't stress! Throw on a pair of sweats and a shirt if that's what you have/enjoy! When you get down with us, you won't be worried about your fashion sense- you'll be too blissed out!
- Wear layers and make sure they are breathable! You might get a little sweaty. Dress accordingly!
- Ladies- you might want a shirt you can tuck in, or a tank top underneath for those downward facing dog, and forward fold postures!
3. Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!
- Drink plenty of water before and after your classes!
- Bring some water with you to class!
- Also, it might be a good idea to come to class on an empty stomach
No matter what class you pick, everyone in the class is at their own place in their practice.
Show yourself some love! Accept where you are in the moment...every moment, every class. Do what you can with what you have and be good to yourself. Focus on the things you did well and felt good. Accept those areas that need improvement and know that over time, it will all come together. Enjoy the moment!
5. Contribute to the good vibes in the room by leaving your stress with your shoes...on the mat outside the door!
5. Have fun with it! Smile and laugh at yourself. Drop the fear, and recognize that 'falling' (letting your guard down and accepting the moment) is where the magic happens!
6. Props are there for you! Grab a blanket, a bolster or a block! They make us stronger in our practice. Studio use props are in the back by the tea (under the chalkboard).
7. The built in shelves in the back of the room are for students belongings (you can leave yours there, too). Please be respectful not to take any other students personal items- just grab the studio use props!
Reminder on Information & Etiquette...
Yoga is a peaceful and rewarding experience. This is your time to relax and unwind.
Here are some tips to help you along your way...
- Please keep in mind, our studio floor is steam mopped several times weekly. We must work as a team to keep our floor clean, and keep us healthy! Shoes are to be taken off before entering the studio. You may put them on the leaf mat to the left of the studio door.
- If you are a student who needs to wear shoes for support, please bring an indoor pair of shoes with you in a separate bag to put on upon entering the studio. They must not be shoes which have been worn outside
- Cellphones must be turned off and put away throughout the duration of class.
- If you have an emergency, or have someone close to you who might need you, you may keep your phone discretely next to your mat or chair, on silent mode. If you receive a call, quietly make your way out of the yoga room to answer.
- Children under the age of 15 are not permitted to be in the yoga room during public adult classes unless they are a participating student, in which case they must be accompanied by their parent or guardian.
- if you would like to introduce your younger kids to yoga, please contact me about setting up a private class time for you and your child/ children.
Print this document from the comfort of your home, fill it out, read it and sign at your own pace. Bring it to the studio with you to turn in upon arrival of your first visit.